Follow us on Facebook!   Follow us on Twitter   Follow us on Flickr

Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement investigates and enforces the Tustin City Code, which encompasses the following codes: the sign code, zoning code, property maintenance, business license requirements, noise regulations and water quality laws. Code Enforcement investigates concerns regarding violations of the Uniform Housing Code and construction without approriate permits. Code Enforcement also works with local, state, county and law enforcement agencies.


Investigation Requests

Investigation Requests can be filed with Code Enforcement staff at any time, at any of the following numbers: (714) 573-3134 or (714) 573-3135.

City Hall working hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30am – 5:30pm and Friday, 8am – 5pm.



The City of Tustin has a graffiti removal service which is available to all property owners within the City. For those who are interested in participating in this program, please fill out all of the Graffiti Waiver Form and fax it to (714) 573-3113 or mail it to: 300 Centennial Way Tustin, CA 92780 Attention: Code Enforcement.

If you are reporting graffiti, please contact the Graffiti Removal Hotline at (714) 573-3111.

The City also requests that you contact the Tustin Police Department’s Non-Emergency number at (714) 573-3225 to report graffiti, in addition to contacting the City’s Graffiti Removal Hotline.


Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?

No. Garage sales may be held a total of four (4) times a year, and only merchandise belonging to the owner may be sold. A single garage sale may extend a maximum of three (3) consecutive days. Signs shall not be erected more than one (1) day in advance of a proposed sale. Garage sale signs shall be promptly removed by sunset on the last day of the sale.

Garage sale signs may NOT be attached to any traffic or parking control device, tree, street light or utility pole, or placed so as to obstruct public sidewalks. Signs should be placed on a stake and placed into the ground. The signs may be no larger that three (3) square feet in area and no taller than four (4) feet in height.

Signs posted illegally will be removed.

2. How can I dispose of large items (refrigerators, couches, beds, etc.)?

All City residents receive two complimentary bulky item pick-ups per year, with a maximum of three items per pick-up. Additional pick-ups are available at a fee. To schedule a bulky item pick-up, please contact CR&R Water Services at:

CR&R - Stanton
11292 Western Avenue
Stanton, CA 90680
Customer Service (714) 372-8272

NOTE: televisions, computer monitors, and radios are not available for pick-up through CR&R Waste Services.

Attention: Residents disposing of a refrigerator are asked to remove the doors before placing it out for pick-up to remove any potential hazard.

3. Where can I dispose of Hazardous Waste?

17121 Nichols Street, Huntington Beach, CA
6411 Oak Canyon, Irvine, CA

Orange County residents may dispose of household hazardous waste at the Collection Centers for FREE. The Collection Centers are open Tuesday through Saturday, 9 AM to 3 PM. The centers are closed on rainy days, Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving and Independence Day.

What is hazardous waste?

Hazardous waste is anything which is not environmentally friendly, which includes, but is not limited to the following items:

Latex and oil base paint, antifreeze, batteries, used oil, fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, hobby supplies, lumber and furniture.

The collection centers DO NOT accept the following:

  • Asbestos, batteries, brake linings
  • Chemicals, fuel tanks, mufflers
  • Poisons, hazardous waste, animal parts
  • Body parts, medical wastes, radioactive material
  • Auto body shredder wastes, fuels, heavy metals
  • Explosives, pesticides, contaminated soil
  • Liquid waste (moisture content 50% or greater)
  • Nuisance dust
  • Cathode Ray Tubes (computer monitors & television sets)
  • Chemically treated wood waste (exception for Prima Deshecha Landfill if immediately buried)
  • Tires

If you have additional questions, please contact the Integrated Waste Management District at (714) 834-4000 and ask to speak to a Materials Regulation Specialist or you can visit

4. Can I keep a portable basketball hoop or other sporting equipment on the sidewalk or in the street?

No. It is prohibited to place any obstruction of any kind in or upon any public street, alley, sidewalk or other public property.

5. What are the regulations on trash cans?

Trash containers may be placed curbside or in the gutter, not earlier than twenty-four (24) hours before collection and must be removed within twenty-four (24) hours after collection.

All trash containers, both residential and commercial, must be shielded from view within a building or area enclosed by a wall not less than six (6) feet in height.

6. Who can I call regarding a barking dog?

Please visit for the County of Orange’s Barking Dog Procedure or contact the County of Orange Animal Control at (714) 935-6848.

7. I operate a business in the City of Tustin. Can I post a temporary banner in front of my business?

Yes, but a temporary sign permit is required prior to installing the banner. A temporary banner may be up for a maximum of thirty (30) days in a ninety (90) day period. The cost of the permit is $95.00 per quarter issuance. The property owner’s written approval to install the banner must accompany the temporary sign permit.

Only one banner may be installed per street frontage or in the case of a multi-tenant building, one banner may be installed per storefront. As a substitute for a wall-mounted banner sign, one (1) pole-mounted banner sign per property street frontage is permitted.

8. Noise Regulations

Noise created by a property owner

Noise sources created by an owner and in association with the maintenance, repair, remodeling, grading and landscaping of residential real property is permitted between the hours of 7am and 9pm.

Noise created by a property maintenance business

Noise sources created by property maintenance equipment, the use of which is attended by loud or unusual noise, is prohibited in residentially zoned areas any and all hours on Sunday and City observed federal holidays, before 7am and after 6pm Monday through Friday, and before 9am and after 5pm on Saturdays. In commercial and industrially zoned areas, the use of property maintenance equipment is prohibited any and all hours on Sundays and City observed federal holidays, before 7am and after 10pm Monday through Friday, and before 9am and after 10pm on Saturdays.

Construction Hours

The erection, demolition, alteration, repair, excavation, grading, paving or construction of any building or site is prohibited between the hours of 6pm and 7am, Monday through Friday and 5pm and 9am on Saturdays and during all hours Sundays and City observed federal holidays.

9. Water Quality

For information on water quality, please click here.

10. What can be done if a swimming pool is green?

All swimming pools, ponds, spas or other bodies of water or excavations shall be maintained as to not create a health hazard. Please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 573-3134 or (714) 573-3135.

Orange County Vector Control can also assist in educating and abating any potential health concern with un-maintained bodies of water. Orange County Vector Control can be reached at (714) 971-2421, (949) 654-2421 or at

11. Abandoned Vehicles

Vehicles are being parked on the public street and do not move?

A vehicle can be parked on a public street for up to 72 hours at a time per the California Vehicle Code. The Tustin Police Department enforces parking on the street and can be reached at (714) 573-3225.

12. Who do I call if I have a concern with a mobilehome?

Please contact the Office of the Mobilehome Ombudsman with the State of California. The Office of Mobilehome Ombudsman receives and processes complaints from the public and from public officials related to living in manufactured homes and mobile homes. They enforce the operation, installation, inspection, and maintenance or alteration of manufactured homes, mobile home accessory structures, and park grounds.

They CAN assist you with questions or complaints on many issues, such as:

  • Mobilehome park health and safety issues such as unsafe electrical, sewer, gas or water systems.
  • Manufactured home unlawful or unfair sales practices by dealers or salespersons, some private parties, escrow companies, and unlicensed persons.
  • New manufactured home warranty, sales contract, and installation issues.
  • Mobilehome Residency Law copies and information only on where to obtain assistance for lease, management, or rent disputes.
  • Manufactured home owner title, registration, fees, alteration, repair, and sales information.
  • Compensation for certain mobilehome and manufactured home sales for warranty, fraud and misrepresentations.

They CANNOT assist you with certain other issues, such as:

  • Unfair or illegal management practices by mobilehome park management.
  • Rent or fee increases or disputes.
  • Enforcement of the Mobilehome Residency Law civil matters.
  • Used manufactured home and mobilehome warranty claims , unless contractual.

Complaints can be mailed to: PO Box 31, Sacramento, CA 95812-0031 or if you need further assistance, please call (800)-952-5275.

13. What are regulations for real estate signs?

Please click here for the adopted sign code changes for real estate professionals.

14. Have another question?

Please contact Code Enforcement at (714) 573-3134 or (714) 573-3135.


Useful Phone Numbers

Cal-Trans Graffiti (949) 936-3500
Cal-Trans (916) 654-5266
City of Irvine (Non-Emergency) (949) 724-7000
City of Irvine Graffiti Hotline (949) 724-7196
City of Santa Ana Graffiti Hotline (877) 786-7824
County of Orange (General Line) (714) 834-5400
County of Orange Animal Control (714) 935-6848
County of Orange Code Enforcement (866) 552-8120
County of Orange Graffiti Hotline (714) 834-3400
County of Orange Vector Control (714) 971-2421
Fair Housing Council of Orange County (714) 569-0823
Health Department (714) 433-6000
Irvine Ranch Water District (949) 453-5300
Orange County Fire Authority (714) 573-6255
Orange County Flood Control District (714) 834-5618
Orange County Sanitation District (714) 962-2411
South Coast Air Quality Management District (310) 233-7000
Southern California Edison (800) 655-4555
Southern California Gas Company (800) 427-2200
Tustin Police Department (Non-Emergency) (714) 573-3225
Tustin Police Department Front Counter (714) 573-3200
Tustin Public Works Department (714) 573-3350
Tustin Unified School District (714) 730-7301


City of Tustin Seal (2010) City of Tustin 300 Centennial Way, Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 573-3000
Tustin’s mission is to provide effective, high-quality services that foster safety, quality of life, and economic vitality throughout our community.
Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm & Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Copyright © 2010 City of Tustin, All Rights Reserved.
This web site best viewed in Microsoft Internet Explorer 7. Download Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Here