Follow us on Facebook!   Follow us on Twitter   Follow us on Flickr

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are the most frequently asked questions in the Building Division:

When are building permits required?

A building permit will be required on all accessory buildings, room additions, interior or exterior alterations, commercial or residential buildings and all projects that are to be remodeled, enlarged, altered, or modified to an interior or exterior of a structure. Building plans are required in detail to show the proposed work.

When are electrical, plumbing, or mechanical permits required?

Permits are required for any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical improvements, new installations, alterations, modifications, replacements, or change outs of their systems.

Do I need a grading permit?

If more than 50 cubic yards of earth are moved, or one foot of fill is used, or a cut slope greater than 5 feet in vertical height will require a grading permit. Submit four complete sets of grading plans and two preliminary soil reports for Building Division's review. A building permit will not be issued until the grading is finalized. A final compaction report and letter of pad certification must be submitted to the Building Division prior to the issuance of a building permit.

Do I need a permit for a garden shed?

Yes, all accessory structure requires a building permit. Provide full dimensioned plans, which includes a site plan, construction detail, and type of material and size of material. Plan will show the proposed work.

Do I need a permit for a lattice or solid cover patio?

Yes, solid cover patios, lattice type patios and decks require a building permit. Provide full dimensioned plan, which includes a site plan, construction detail, and type of material and size of material. Plan will show proposed work.

Do I need a permit for a fence?

Yes, When installing a new fence, removing or replacing an existing fence. Chain links, wood, wrought iron, retaining walls 2' and higher or garden wall 3' and higher require a building permit. Prior to the issuance of a permit, provide a dimensioned site plan, which includes the construction details and location of the fence or wall location.

How do I get a building permit?

Applications and building permit information can be obtained from the Building Technicians at (714) 573-3131 or (714) 573-3132 from 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday - Thursday and 8 am - 5 pm on Friday.

Does a permit expire?

Yes, a building, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical permit issued by the Building Division under the provisions of the technical codes shall expire by limitation, or if the building or work is not commenced within 180 days from the date of such permit, the permit will become null and void. Renewals and extensions on permits may be granted, depending on permit status and completed inspections.

How many plans are required to be submitted into plan check?

The Building Division requires two - seven sets of building plans depending on the project: plans shall include architectural plans with two sets of title 24 (Energy Calculations) and two sets of structural calculations. The plans must be drawn on substantial paper (Minimum 11x17).

How do I request a building inspection?

Requests for inspections can be placed with the office of the Building Division on the inspection request line at (714) 573-3141 between 7:30 am and 5:30 pm the previous day of the requested inspection. Building Inspectors are available weekdays for questions between the hours of 7:00 am - 7:45 am every workday.

City of Tustin Seal (2010) City of Tustin 300 Centennial Way, Tustin, CA 92780 (714) 573-3000
Tustin’s mission is to provide effective, high-quality services that foster safety, quality of life, and economic vitality throughout our community.
Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm & Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Copyright © 2010 City of Tustin, All Rights Reserved.
This web site best viewed in Microsoft Internet Explorer 7. Download Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Here